For those of you who may not have thought this through, in order to get breast milk to a baby in the NICU it has to be done mechanically, A: because it is impossible to be there 100% of the time and B: because, if the baby is like Averi, they do not know how to eat and can’t get milk from the tap even if you are there. Having had two babies in the NICU, you’d think I’d be a pro at this pumping business, but I assure you it is not valued free time like Dan is always trying to convince me it is.
When Averi was still in the NICU, I had to pump for 20 minutes, 8 times a day, or every 3 hours (this is information I’m sure you were dying to know). Add in a 30 minute drive both ways to the hospital twice a day and there’s not much time left for eating, sleeping, or my family.
This is where having a lactation consultant as a mother comes in handy. My mom called her Medela rep, told him the situation, and he sent me a Freestyle Breastpump for FREE! It is the coolest thing ever! The whole pump can be held in one hand or clipped on your pants and runs on a battery.

Not only that, but you can strap it to your boobs and pump hands free! (Yes, I know you are all very jealous, and No, I am not putting a picture of that on my blog.) This allowed me to, and I’m not kidding, drive to and from the hospital while pumping. Tell me that’s not an image you now want to get out of your head. :)
11 comments:
Ok, I have to comment on this one. I am so jealous and I'm not even lactating! You all have been in our prayers.
I too, am very jealous! I think I need to get one of those!! :) I love reading your blog!
You are the woman! I hated pumping, and you....I can't say how amazing you are!!
I'm sure all of the male species driving in their trucks next to you were salivating... :o) I love that you did it while driving...hahaha.
You forgot to mention the trip to Easton?! Girls night. Pumping on the way to the movie?! ;)
Looking forward to your freedom as well. You ARE amazing!!
thats great. i wouldn't want to be driving next to you though ;0)
You are truly, truly amazing!!
...and funny!!! I laughed at your saying things like, "this is information I'm sure you were dying to know." and, "Tell me that's not an image you now want to get out of your head."
Hope you never got a speeding ticket en route to the NICU. Can you imagine having to explain to an officer of the law if he was suspicious about what you were doing?
Tiff- I'm so glad to see such a bright silver lining on your cloud. Your attitude is such an inspiration! I'm so happy for you that your mom is a lactation consultant. It's amazing what little miracles come in life. I'm sure as a teen you weren't thrilled to admit to your friends that your mom is "a lady that other ladies call to talk about boobs and milk." Wow, time changes perspective!
That's smaller than I expected it to be, when you told me about it. Is yours yellow too?
Talk about Multitasking...gosh If texting while driving is illegal...imagine what your penalty would be...
Wow! What a great post!! That is so awesome and hilarious at the same time!!! How cool is that!?!? Well good - I'm so glad you are doing REALLY well with pumping! Hope you're doing well and your girlies are adorable!!! love the blessing pic! Miss ya girl!!
Post a Comment