Saturday, January 22, 2011

Grocery Bag Holders

I'm not sure why I do it, but I keep taking on "little" sewing projects.  I'm pretty sure it's because I have nothing to do with my time and I crave ways of filling it.

Last week our bishop mentioned that he wanted to find someone to make grocery bag holders for the bathrooms at church.  Our diaper pails were disposed of after the smell killed one of the moms immediately after opening it (okay, so maybe it wasn't that dramatic).  He was hoping that people would use the grocery bags to wrap up their diapers before putting them into the regular trash, which is taken out on a more regular basis.

Being a mom whose nose has been assaulted by the diaper pail, I took this duty on myself and came up with these - one for each of 2 women's, 2 men's, and a mother's lounge (try to guess which ones are which):
They have a large hole at the top for stuffing and smaller hole at the bottom for pulling out bags one at a time.  Of course, I couldn't make all those and not make one for myself as well.  So I came up with this sexy number.
Being the silly woman that I am, I thought I could make all of these in one day.  So there I was Wednesday night (the night before Averi went back to the hospital) surrounded by Dan, his dad, and his sister Shantel, trying to finish them.  They threaded elastic and fixed my lost elastic ends while I sewed.  (Before you think they are super thoughtful, they were only helping so that we would have enough time to play a game before bed.) :)  I at least made the bags, and then finished making the handles today.  Hopefully they will get used; I know mine will!

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

You rock, Tiff. I have major talent envy right now. :)

Sara Emily said...

I gotta tell you I VERY much appreciated them!!! Savanna has been potty training for 3 weeks now and has been doing GREAT but actually had a kind of NASTY accident on Sunday and while i was smart enough to pack extra clothes it hadn't occurred to me I would need a plastic bag to take the dirty clothes home in! Those bags were heavenly!! <3

Lauren in GA said...

Those turned out GREAT! I always laugh when you say things like, "I have nothing to do with my time."

I am glad you find creative outlets. Creating actually helps me feel happy.

I am not kidding...I totally laughed out loud when I read that one of the moms was killed after opening the diaper pail. I kind of have a sick sense of humor.

Stephanie said...

Those are the cutest grocery bag holders I've ever seen. You definitely are createive and this little project of yours did not surprise me one single bit. You make such good use of your time, I need to be more like that. :)

The Giaimo's said...

I wondered who had made those! I am pretty sure he didn't ask you to do it yourself!!