Last night I called Dan to say good night, before going to sleep on my air mattress at the hospital, and he answered the phone sounding a little stressed. When I asked him what was wrong, he informed me that our basement was flooded. Nice!
He was getting ready to go to bed when he decided to make sure the light was off in the garage. Since the garage door is right next to the basement door he 'randomly' decided to open it as well and found a puddle at the bottom of the stairs.
Water was coming up through the cracks in the cement and the sump pump well was full to almost overflowing. When I called at midnight, he and his mom had been wringing out towels for over an hour and the water was still coming. Dan had checked the outside line to make sure it wasn't frozen and couldn't find a problem anywhere.
He was about to call a plumber when I talked him into calling our friend Derrick, who knows a little more about sump pumps than we do (seeing how I didn't even know what one was until we moved here). Derrick, who luckily stays up as late as we do, talked Dan through the steps of taking the sump pump apart and was leaving his house to come over when Dan found...a rock and a long copper wire tangled up in the sump pump fan.
No worries, he was able to pull them out and put the pump back together but we have no idea how they got there in the first place. The well eventually emptied and the water stopped oozing through the floor, which Dan stayed up and made sure of before going to bed around 2.
As we like to say around here..."If it isn't broken...it's not ours!" :)
Thursday, February 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Glad to hear it was taken care of and it's not a major issue with the foundation or something. Miss you.
I am glad that it is fixed...but sorry about all the water.
Omigosh! Crazy. I hope nothing was really damaged with that little incident! Oh, and I already bought fabric to make grocery bag holders like yours!
Post a Comment