I went to change Kaili's sheets this weekend and found something hiding under her pillow (her chosen place of secrecy). It was a hand sanitizer cover that she saw at Bath and Body Works and liked so much that she put it in her pocket and took it home. Stolen!
My 4 yr old is a convict! (Note: this has nothing to do with my poor parenting abilities.) Luckily it was only a $0.50 item. So we sat down and had a little conversation about what stealing is and why it is wrong. When I told her that she would have to return it to the store, explain what she did, and apologize, she announced that I could do it for her. Um...no.
Today, after taking her to the doctor because she is sick, we stopped by the store (I know, I'm a mean mom). We found the only person working there, some teeny bopper, and Kaili returned the item with an apology...to which the lady said, "That's okay." Seriously, I thought the point was that it wasn't okay.
I still remember shoving artificial flowers in my pockets at a store when I was little, only to have to return them after my mom found them while doing the laundry. I'm hoping that I made a strong enough impression on Kaili to prevent her from stealing in the future. :)
Monday, January 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
When I was a kid I stole a pack of gum... when my mom discovered it, she took me back in the store, gave me the money to pay for it (I had already opened it) and made me split it up among my siblings leaving me none!! lol
You are a great Mom, Tiffany.
Glad you are doing all you can to make sure she doesn't continue her life of crime ;)
Post a Comment