Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Latest Endeavour

When we finally bought our own home, I was excited to start my own garden. However, we spent the first summer fixing the house and the second summer in the NICU. Now that I finally have “time” I have been trying to figure out where I can put a garden without it being trampled by the neighborhood kids.

Dan found the solution. For my birthday he gave me lots of dirt…and a raised garden to put it in. I am so excited!! It’s only 3½ by 7 feet but it is perfect for our little family of novice gardeners.

Last Saturday we set up the walls, filled the garden with dirt, did some research, drew an awesome replica of where we are going to plant the seeds, and tried not to go crazy waiting for planting weather.

Then on Monday, we spent our Family Home Evening (or HIG as Kaili calls it) planting lettuce and spinach.

I even made super cute labels – I might be a little over excited.

We also started some tomatoes and bell peppers inside. Now we are just waiting for something spectacular to happen.

I have yet to figure out why I am so excited about having a garden since I hated working in my parents’ garden, but I think it has something to do with being able to grow only things that taste good (no peas for me please). Hopefully I don’t get discouraged and we are able to grow something. :)


On a side note, while we were working in the garden, our neighbor came over, said she was getting rid of her swing set, and asked us if we wanted it. Um…YES! We need to get some swings and stain it but Kaili loves it!

5 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Thos raised boxes are such a good idea to keep your garden from getting trampled.

Vicki said...

I love hand me overs....I'm sure Kaili will have tons of fun on the swings while you have fun in the garden.

Vanessa said...

I would also be just as excited as you if I could plant a garden and keep it up. I actually loved having a garden growing up... picking the green beans, corn and okra, etc. Hope it grows well for ya'll.

Glenn and Melanie said...

I am not sure I can belive that you have your own garden - I know that it's true you hated working in the garden at home! Happy Gardening - and no peas!

Brian and Whitney said...

No it is my turn to be JELLOUS! Wow, not only do you have a garden but it is a cutsie garden! I LOVE the labels! Maybe next spring we will have to get some pointers from you guys!