Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hummus

With my new diet I have become a little more adventurous with what I eat. One of my recent indulgences has been hummus on rice cakes. The only problem is that I can eat a whole tub in one sitting and they are almost $4 a tub. So I decided to find a recipe and try to make it at home so I could have more of it and spend less money. It turned out pretty yummy although this picture doesn’t do it justice.
I learned a few things during this experience: chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing (after searching high and low through the bags of dried beans for garbanzos), a 1 pound bag of beans is the equivalent of three 15 ounce cans (so I had to triple the recipe…did I mention making it myself would produce more than a tub?), and tahini, a major ingredient in hummus which consists of ground up sesame seeds, costs an arm and a leg, is the consistency of peanut butter, and when eaten plain tastes like the bottom of a shoe.
I had so much that I had to freeze some. Did I mention it was yummy?

6 comments:

Vanessa said...

You forgot to mention one thing about hummus... it makes your breath really stinky. :)

Lauren in GA said...

You are so awesome...I can't even believe all that you accomplish. Who makes their own hummus? With a newborn...and an older child? You are fantastic.

Brandy said...

My friend told me to just use peanut butter instead of tahini. I'm sure you have plenty of tahini and hummus to last through the winter, but maybe next time you could use your natural pb! I REALLY tried to like hummus...I love garbonzo beans, but I just couldn't get into it. It's so healthy though!

Jennifer said...

I love hummus - especially with cherry tomatoes. The rest of my family needs a bit more convincing, however. The best I get is, "Oh...it's OK." :)

Tina said...

That's so weird, Rob and I were just thinking of making Hummus but didn't know what tahini was, and I of course couldn't remember what it was called to look it up. This is why we are friends. BTW Jayme is prego.

Brittany said...

We LOVE hummus too but I refuse to make it but you can get it at Trader Joe's for considerably cheaper than the regular store! Happy Hummus :)