Friday, October 1, 2010

Fasting

This morning when I asked Kaili what she wanted for breakfast she replied that she was fasting.  Dan and I usually fast once a month and I’ve explained it to her when she’s asked why we aren’t eating, so I knew she knew what she was saying.

When I asked her why she said she wanted to fast for Averi so that the medicine wouldn’t make her too sick.  My heart just melted!  She acts so grown up sometimes.
Since she had her mind set, I knelt down with her and she said a little prayer telling Heavenly Father that she was fasting for Averi.  I told her that whenever she wanted to eat she could break her fast and I would get her some food.

I didn’t think she would last very long but she didn’t ask for food until after noon.  I explained that she needed to pray again to break her fast so that Heavenly Father would know that she wasn’t just not eating, but doing it for a purpose.  She said the sweetest prayer that started with “Dear Heavenly Father, I am breaking my fast…” and then she continued to plead with the Lord to help keep her sister healthy and not get too sick.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t proud of her and touched by her sweet spirit.  Obviously, I have never once asked Kaili to fast or told her that she needed to.  She came up with the idea all on her own and did it the right way.  She is such a big girl and so sweet and possessive with her baby sister.  If only we could all become like little children.

6 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Kaili is an amazing little girl. I am so touched by her desire to fast for Averi.

You did a great job, Momma. I love that you taught her to pray so that she fasts with a purpose.

Glenda @ Magnolia Bend Drive said...

Tiffany that is such a sweet thing for her to do. I am impressed by your parenting. Kaili learned that by example. Good work. I can't help but think that someday we'll all find out that we were doing better than we thought. Averi is lucky to have been born into your family.

Vanessa said...

That is one AWESOME big sister!!

Vicki said...

You have every reason to be proud...Kaili is an amazing little girl!
Such a sweetie with a big heart.
You and Dan are great parents.

Shantel said...

I'm just sitting in front of my computer crying (shocker, I know) because of this little girl's faith. Thanks for sharing!

Donnie and Laura said...

I just cried when I read that story. That is so sweet.