Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sea Lemons

We have a very ugly tree residing in our front yard that has long straggly branches hanging down from it.  The first summer we moved here it was covered with Japanese beetles and we almost ripped it up.  Then last year it grew yummy, juicy apricots on it and we liked it much more.
This year it had twice as much fruit on it, and after some convincing arguments from friends and doing some research, we discovered that they are actually sea lemons, or more commonly called yellow plums.
They are delicious!  We couldn’t eat them fast enough and started giving them away by the bagfuls.  Dan went out almost every day and picked a large bowl of them.  As they started to get overripe Dan picked the last of them and I decided to try my hand at making jam.  I was super nervous because I have never even helped make jam before.  First I halved and pitted them and boiled them down.
Then, after they were soft, I strained out the skins.  Mmmmm.
Finally I added in the sugar and pectin (whatever that is) and canned the finished products.  We opened a jar the next day and it is super yummy!

I saved a few of the remaining yellow plums and made a plum cherry cobbler which was also very delicious.  I think I might start liking this tree after all.

I also recently went out to my garden (after being on vacation) and found this monster sitting right next to another one almost as big:
Any one have an awesome zucchini bread recipe because I now have bags and bags of shredded zucchini in my freezer.

3 comments:

Brandy said...

That's awesome! Those plums were soo good!

I hope the library still has copies of the paper. I'd like to get one since the kid's photo is in there. I'm sure the copy that we have in front of our mailbox has been rained on, lol. Thanks for posting this! I forgot that the guy took their photo.

Lauren in GA said...

I keep wondering if they are tart.

The jam looks YUMMY!

Stephanie said...

I miss seeing this tree in your front yard. They were so yummy. Or as a lady I met here in Utah says, "Nummy". I kid you not.