Friday, August 20, 2010

Topsail Beach 2010

Dan finally got a vacation – along with the rest of us.  I think this is one of the only times I have taken a vacation that was totally low key.  We didn’t make schedules and we just hung out with my family and the Turpins (long time family friends) at the beach for the whole week!  (Prepare yourself, I'm going to put it all into one post.)
Our first day on the beach was a little sad for Averi because someone who will remain unnamed...ahem…Dan…got sunscreen in her eyes.  They were all puffy and red. :(
Of course we had to do the mandatory sand mermaid!  Note Flounder next to her.
We found an awesome bed for Averi so we could stay out on the beach during nap time and still keep an eye on her.  So it's the pool, so what?
While Averi slept, Kaili and I built a sandcastle.
Kaili’s favorite place, other than the beach, is in the hot tub.  Seth was a good sport and played Little Mermaid with her.  (I won't tell you about how he was making them jump out of the water and fling their hair.)
Brent snuggling with Averi.
We went on lots of walks on the beach and saw several jellyfish.
Kaili is obsessed with Oscars leash and always insists on holding it, outside or inside, whether Oscar likes it or not.  My mom finally bought her a stuffed dachshund and had the people at the beach store make a leash out of a boogie-board strap so that Kaili would give Oscar an occasional break.
The best thing to take to the beach when you have little ones is a pool – then they can’t eat the sand.  Averi was hesitant at first but she grew to love it.  Alaina not so much.
Kaili loved playing in the little pool too, even if she was a little too big for it.
We also spent some time in the big pool.  This was Averi's first time in the floaty and she loved it and kept slapping the water.
Whenever I went looking for shells Kaili would fill my bucket with all kinds of 'great finds.'  She loved finding as many shells as she could.
Kaili will hate me for this one later but it was too funny.  She said she needed to pee so I told her to go pee in the ocean.  When I looked up she was standing ankle deep in the water with her legs apart, pulling her swimsuit open, and letting it trickle down her legs.
Daddy’s girls!
One night we went putt-putting.  Dan won with a one point lead on both Kenny and Seth.  I didn’t win but I was the only one to get 2 hole-in-ones plus I had a baby on my front and a pump on my back.
Kaili thought it was a fashion event.  Just for the record, we did not tell her to do this, she did it all on her own.

Near the end of the week we went to the aquarium.  The touch pool is always exciting.  They had starfish, horseshoe crabs, urchins, anemones, and hermit crabs.
We were mesmerized by the jellyfish
I think the highlight of the aquarium was watching the crazy people feed the alligators with only tennis shoes on.

Some of the boys got up early and went fishing.  Dan got a big catch - it just wasn't very edible.
While we were there we learned that Dan’s Aunt Mary and her daughter’s family live close by.  We all got together for lunch, along with his sister Shantel and her son Nathan who were visiting.  It was fun getting to know his family a little better.

We made a pit stop at my parents house on the way to and from the beach and Dan took the girls out on my dad’s new 4-wheeler.  They loved it.
It was such a fun week and I’m so glad that we got to spend it with family!  I can’t wait until next year.

2 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Lady, you are awesome! 2 holes in one with a baby up front an a pump on the back?! Not too shabby!!

I think the baby pool for a bed was brilliant!

Stephanie said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun! You know, we have a similar picture of Saydria peeing down her legs as she's standing at the shoreline also, she's about that same age, only difference is Kevin was holding her hand as he was looking out on the ocean.
And, that's the coolest idea to bring one of those pools and fill it with water for Averi. I love her big smiles. I miss you guys so much. I hope it's not too long before we get to see you all again.