Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Baby Yoki

Several weeks ago, Dan and I were avoiding the fact that we hate coming up with girl names, when I picked up the baby name book we borrowed from the library. I opened to a random page and asked him to pick a column and place on the page. I then declared that our daughter would be named Yoki. We laughed and then forgot about it.
Last week I told this story to my sister-in-law. Kaili must have been paying attention a little better because later that day she told Dan, over the phone, that she loved “Baby Yoki.” Of course I laughed, which Kaili really liked, and she has referred to the baby in my tummy as “Baby Yoki” ever since.
(For anyone who is concerned at this point, no, we will not really be naming our daughter Yoki.)

Here is baby Yoki a week ago at 28 weeks gestation. She opened her mouth just as the picture was taken. This is my favorite picture so far!

4-D: Her nose looks smaller now, but the same thing cannot be said for her lips. It’s crazy how many characteristics we can already see. I think she is going to look a lot like Kaili.


The pregnancy is going as well as can be expected. My sciatic nerve is being pinched and I am a ‘little’ paranoid about preterm labor, but other than that the baby and I are both healthy. Yoki is breech, which doesn’t matter since I have to have a c-section anyways, but her head loves to push against my left rib cage. She is in the 31st percentile, so she'll probably look like a monster compared to Kaili. :) I am still getting shots every week, which are hopefully helping, and my exercise routine is slowly dwindling as my tummy expands and I am less able to do things.
Kaili now sings a song to baby Yoki every night before bed. She also gives her hugs and insists on giving her kisses on the bottom of my belly. I don’t have the heart to tell her that she is kissing the baby’s butt. Needless to say, Yoki will be well loved whenever she decides to arrive.

6 comments:

Mike and Wendy said...

Yoki,huh? That's about as bad as what we were calling Malia before she was born. Mike was joking around about how he loves Memphis so much that we should name the baby Memphina. So for a while, that's what we called her. What's even funnier is, at the time, Mike was working at LensCrafters. He was joking around with one of the ladies he worked with and told her we were naming the baby Memphina and she believed him!!!

Sara Emily said...

Ha ha - Yoki - that's pretty funny! Kaili is sooo cute - It'll be neat to see her with the new baby!!

Brandy said...

Yoki would be a fabulous middle name ;)

Vanessa said...

That Kaili is so dang cute and funny. You guys aren't going to be able to stop calling her that, and no matter what the birth certificate says, her nickname will always be 'baby Yoki'.

Stephanie said...

Love the pics of Yoki, she already looks really cute! See you in a few minutes. :)

Lauren in GA said...

I love that she was listening so closely that she called her sister, "Baby Yoki" later. So, darling ☺.

I am having trouble thinking of a name for this baby. Well, *ahem* I have many fabulous suggestions that Mike doesn't like and vice versa.