Saturday night, after Kaili was in bed, I finally got around to inflating the very flat tire on my car. Let me preface this story by saying that Dan usually takes care of the tires, not because I can't but because he remembers. I am not usually one to wait around for "the man" to do a job. In fact, I probably use the tools at our house more than Dan does, simply because I am home more than he is and if I want something done, I go do it.
That being said, I have not checked tire pressure in quite a while, Dan was at the hospital with Averi, Kaili and I had gotten home late, I had a pre-church meeting early the next morning, and I was going back to the hospital the next day. If it was going to happen, it had to be then.
So, I went out to the garage, hooked up the tire compressor, plugged it into the lighter socket, and turned it on. Nothing happened. I thought maybe it was broken since the last time it was used my mom dropped it on the ground, broke off a piece that holds the fuse in, and had to super glue it back together (don't worry mom, I'm about to embarrass myself way more than I just embarrassed you and everyone will soon forget about it).
No, it wasn't broken, I just hadn't turned the car on. It was really cold and late at night and I didn't want to open the garage door (yes, I do at least know that you have to open the garage when you turn on a car so you don't die) so I opted to not turn the car all the way on.
After the compressor had been running for a while, it randomly stopped. I tried turning it off and on and even taking it out of the socket to see if the piece had broken off again. It would just turn on for a few seconds and then stop again. Finally it started working again but the lights in the car got really dim.
That's when I realized that I was running it on the battery and that there wasn't much power left. I unplugged it but it was too late, the battery was dead. So, there I was at 11:00 at night, home alone with a dead car and a partially flat tire and I had to leave at 7 the next morning. I could either call my neighbor now (you know, the normal one who goes to bed at a reasonable time and is probably already asleep) or wait till 7. I opted for now.
After having to explain myself, my neighbor graciously brought his car over and jumped my car. I was so worried that the car wouldn't restart in the morning that I left it running for 30 minutes (with the garage open) in hopes that the battery would recharge. Luckily it did and Kaili and I made to church with no problems at all. Well, I guess that's what happens! :)
Monday, December 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Our van kept dieing on me and I couldn't figure out why. You would jump it drive somewhere and then it wouldn't start again. I asked again and again, "Are any lights left on in the the back?" Kaelin would immediately say NO! and Sean would kind of mumble something to where Kaelin would shush him. I finally decided not to believe Kaelin and make sure. What do you know one little reading light was left on. I couldn't believe that 1) Kaelin would lie about it and 2)that a little light would drain the battery that fast. Oh well, Live and Learn
If I still lived there, I would have totally been over to help you. :) Great story, though.
Next time go back to bed and call me. I will give you a ride to that early morning meeting! I also keep jumper cables in my car for all my friends that need them. ;)
Post a Comment